One of the greatest discoveries of the last century in the field of human psychology is Neuro Linguistic Programming.
With the advent of NLP not only the field of Psychotherapy but the entire gamut of human adventure started seeing the field of possibilities from an empowering angle.
Neuro-Linguistic Programming aka NLP is the psychology of human excellence.
NLP is both a science& art.
NLP is the science of understanding the power of subconscious mind & the art of tapping its power.
NLP believes success in life need not come through hard work only. Success is easily possible by intelligent imagination.
NLP gives tools to bring to reality this imagination for one’s progress & growth.
NLP brings the desired change swiftly & effectively, that too in funny creative ways.
The power of NLP is well appreciated by leading sport stars, business icons, and educationists all over the world.
In short NLP helps an individual to realize one’s potential and tap it to lead life in a fulfilling way.
Neuro – how we use our neurology to think & feel
Linguistic- how we use language to influence others & ourselves
Programming- how we set to achieve the outcome we want
NLP is the study of how our mind works.
NLP is the study of structure of subjective experience.
NLP strongly believes that human beings are already endowed with all the resources needed for a fulfilling life.
NLP strongly believes our subconscious mind is always kind, right & beneficial.
All NLP interventions are based on this belief and so NLP believes each individual is unique & whole.
Hence NLP does not decide what the subject should do, but helps the subject reach the desired outcome swiftly.
While traditional psychology deals with “STIMULUS RESPONSE”, NLP does not concern much with stimulus but focuses on the response as desired by the subject & intervenes only in the process of achieving the outcome.
Hence, in psychotherapy with NLP, the subject can always feel safe & secure without needing to open out the trauma once again to the counselor or the embarrassment of opening out those fishy events.
Equally with NLP intervention either there is the desired effect or no effect; definitely not in anyway any sort of side effect.
In short NLP is discovering the glory of one’s life and its limitless possibilities.
With NLP every day becomes a spiritual romance.
HISTORY OF NLP
- NLP was formulated in 1970’s by two Americans Dr Richard Bandler & Dr John Grinder.
- They are the co founders of NLP.
- NLP has drawn heavily from hypnosis meaning NLP believes our unconscious mind (subconscious mind) is very powerful benevolent & helps us to lead life effectively.
- All the techniques & methodology depends on communicating with unconscious & getting feedback.
- NLP also believes our five senses, the input channel for information from the outside world play an important role in our understanding of the world.
PILLARS of NLP
NLP rests on 6 pillars
1)) YOU – your emotional state & level of skill; your resourceful state decides your success… according to NLP every individual is unique & subjective & so outcome is also subjective & unique; so NLP respects YOU( every individual as an independent whole entity)
2) PRESUPPOSITION – Presuppositions are principles of NLP; guiding principles of NLP which are taken to be true;
3) RAPPORT – The quality of your relationship (with yourself & others) mutual trust & responsiveness
4) OUTCOME – Knowing what you want; NLP works best if one knows what one wants.
For outcome 3 steps—1) your present state; 2) your desired state; 3) Process or strategy to reach
5) FEEDBACK – how will you know you are getting what you want??
6) FLEXIBILITY – being flexible enough to alter the approach till one gets the desired outcome…
Lao Tzu says “Rigidity is death; Flexibility is life”
PRESUPPOSIONS of NLP
Given below are a few of the presuppositions
1) The map is not the territory
Meaning your experience of an event is not the actual happening of the event
2) If one person can do something anyone can do or learn to do it
3) The mind & body are parts of the same system
4) People already have all the resources they need
5) The meaning of communication is the response you get
6) There is no failure; only feedback
7) Underlying every behavior there is a positive intention
8) Our unconscious mind is always benevolent.
9) People always make the best choice available to them
10) If what you do does not work, do something else
(Kindly find the relevance of these presuppositions in your life & apply them for bettering your understanding of the world & your response to it)
Please note it is in doing & practicing one can understand NLP better.
NLP relies heavily on right brain; the creative part in us, boosting its power will help to well internalize NLP